Friday, October 14, 2011

My Son




This is my son, "Ace" as we like to call him.  He is almost 7 months old.  If there is one thing he is good at it's eating.  He loves to nurse.  A few days ago he taught me a valuable lesson about God and the nature of His world that we are living in.  You see, Ace was laying on the bed next to me smiling and laughing.  He had no cares, no worries, no places to be.  He is not at all concerned about e-mail, texts, facebook or football.........though I am sure that will change.  He is content.  He is happy.  After laying with him for 15 minutes he begins to fuss, and get a little cranky.  He starts to thrash around on the bed.  He is looking........searching.......wanting......Mama.  She is off in the kitchen cooking eggs for the girls breakfast.  She is busy.........although never too busy to miss the hunger fuss from little Ace.

I hear her footsteps coming toward the bedroom, she is almost there, and when she appears from around the corner Ace goes nuts.  He kicks his legs with delight, he thrashes his arms and lets out a yelp for joy.  Mama has come.  She comes baring breasts.  Yes, she has arrived and his excitement is too cute for words.  He knows it's time for milk, and he is hungry.   Here, in my 7 month old son a great truth is revealed to me.  Here, in my son, is my own hardness and unbelief opened up to me.  Saint Peter said "laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisy, and envies, and all evil speakings, As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby."

Watching Ace squeal for excitement over his Mama's milk made me see how important it is to come to the scriptures the same way.  "As newborn babes"  we are to come, hungry for His Word.  Excited to be fed by Him, feasting on His grace. More importantly, I come to see what our Father in Heaven sees.  He must be delighted, as I am delighted, to watch His children come and eat.  To hear us sing with pure joy because we know......just like Ace knows.......that this is gonna be good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment